[pct-l] sleeping bags

you are correct; this is a highly subjective issue and varies widely
from person to person.  having said that, I would submit that the
most commonly used bag in the high sierra in summer is a 20 degree
bag (that is based ONLY on my own personal experience talking to
hikers on the trail and other people I know who hike in the sierras.
its absolutely NOT a colclusion drawn by any scientific or measurable
method)

If you are gonna thru-hike, I would suggest that you go for the 15
degree bag, especially if you sleep cold.  IMO, if you sleep cold a
30 degree bag would probably be just a tad too cool in much of the
High Sierra.

There are standardized methods for measuring a sleeping bag's warmth
rating (I forget the exact procedure, but basically they measure the
loft and every inch or centimeter of loft is equal to a certain
number of degrees of rating).  However, I am not certain that every
sleeping bag manufaturer uses that system when advertizing ratings
for their bags.  Some bag manufacturers seem to be more conservative
in their ratings than others.  For example, I have a western
mountaineering bag that is supposedly a 20 degree bag; it is WAY
warmer and has much more loft than my North Face 20 degree bag.

My recommendation would be to go and look at the bags in person.
Measure the loft with a ruler if you can.  Get inside them and see
how comfortable they are for you (especially if you are right on the
cusp between a regular bag and a long bag in terms of your height.
this is usually right around 6 ft tall).  Getting inside the bag
before you buy it will really teach you some things; some bags are
longer than others, some are wider than others, some have material
near the zipper or around the opening for the head that may be
irritatiing to you, some bags may have extra loft/stuffing in the
foot area which you may or may not like, still others might offer
interesting features that you may like.  One last consideration is
the shell material.  Many of the newer shell materials that are being
used are more water resistant than a regular nylon treated shell.  In
addition, different shell materials are different weights.  Some of
the shell materials available are:

1.1 rip-stop nylon (1.1 oz per sq. yd)
0.85 rip-stop nylon (0.85 oz per sq. yd)
EPIC by Nextec ( 1.9 oz per sq. yd)
Pertex Microlight Rip-Stop Nylon ( 1.3 oz per sq. yd)
Pertex Endurance (1.9 oz per sq. yd)

here is a decent overview on the various pros/cons of each material:
http://www.nunatakusa.com/Down_Jackets_Sleeping_Bags_Bibs_Fabrics.htm

HTH.

peace,
dude