[pct-l] Re: (contacts and ) Boots or Running shoes (Vol 8 Issue 1)

Gail and I wore light hiking boots throughout our thru hike in 2003.By light
I mean 2.5 - 3.25 pounds a pair.
We were very glad to have them on steep hard snow so that we could kick an
edge into a snow slope.
This was particularly important when
(a) traversing the sides of Apache Peak and Anstell Rock and Fuller Ridge in
the San Jacintos (April 22-25),
(b) on Mount Baden Powell ridges (7 May)
(c) crossing the high Sierra passes both on hard snow in the early morning
and when you never knew what your foot would strike when it went an
unpredictable distance into the soft snow in the afternoons.(First 3 weeks
of June).
(d) on some steep snow north of TM also including the area just south of
Sonora Pass (late June) and even on descent north from Dick's Pass north of
Echo Lake.
People in running shoes certainly feel the rocks on rocky sections of trail
more than people with boots and complained of the cold more when hit by
fresh snow. One thru hiker complained (as he passed us) about the rocks on
the trail just after Sierra City. We had not noticed. There are rocky
sections by some of the lava fields on route also.
Some thru hikers admitted being unhappy on firm snow with their running
shoes and some slid down slopes into rocks because of them.
Having said all that, we would have been better with running shoes for more
than 50% of the trail as most of the trail tread is earth or sand.
I liked to do some side trips and was often glad of the boots then.
My first pair of boots lasted with a bit of help from Shoogoo on the soles
until Seiad Valley. The second pair (of the same size) went the rest of the
trip but the leather split on both boots. They were Zamberlan Evasion and I
found them comfortable.
We started early so encountered more snow - so when you start is also a
factor to be considered.
Maybe the best compromise is light boots from Kennedy Meadows to Sierra City
and good soled running shoes the rest of the time if you leave at the end of
April or later. We were glad we carried our ice axes from Campo to Sierra
City despite feeling they were rather out of place above the LA aqueduct! As
a recent article in the Communicator said, don't under-estimate the San
Jacintos in early season.

Alistair