[pct-l] gates in the Sierra

Its my understanding that the forest service leases grazing rights to
some areas in the national forests to local ranchers and these gates
are used to keep cattle and goats grazing in the proper area.  the
forest service places restrictions on the grazing so that the
wildlife is not severely damaged; the ranchers are allowed to let
their livestock graze on certain areas at certain times of the year
or whatever.  Some hiker I met on the trail in the Sierra told this
to me, so I dunno how accurate it is, but it seems accurate to
me.  ...especially after seeing both cattle and goats in the sierra
near the gates.

peace,
dude