Washing bags (was Re: [pct-l] Keeping warm at night)

At 10:41 PM 11/28/2003 -0700, John Brennan wrote:
>To add to the bag discussion: The laundromat in Dunsmuir (mile 1518) was a
>great place for me to wash my bag.  The big front-loading washers were
>gentle on my down bag.

I remember a few other points on the trail with nice front loading washers.
Other than Tehachapi, I can't recall where they were. Does anyone else
remember?

I've read the reason to use front loaders is the mesh in the baffles. Bags
using tricot mesh are more durable and can withstand top-loading washing
machines with agitators. My bag seems to do okay in top loaders, though I
prefer front loaders to be safe.

>  Next time, I'll include some soap designed to wash down in my Dunsmuir
> resupply box.

I'm going to do likewise. Though I have washed my bag with detergent and
despite no noticeable degradation of performance, I have this nagging
question in my head, "Have I eroded the temperature rating in my bag?"

I also wonder, aside from perfumes, is there any significant difference
between shampoo and down soap? I wonder if a cheap non-scented shampoo
would clean a down bag as well as a down soap.

Tangent