[pct-l] Numbness

This summer on the JMT, both my wife and I started getting numb just
below the hips on the front of our upper legs. This started after about
a week on the trail. Certainly this was from our hip belts. We had
pretty light loads, and small packs - maybe 30 lbs max with food for me
and 25 for my wife.  We use different packs and have very different
builds, so its funny that we both had the same problem. In years of
hiking, I don't ever remember this happening. Maybe I'm just getting
old. Actually, there is no maybe about that (I'm 43). We spent 14
glorious days getting to Whitney and afterwards I had sensations of
numbness for at least a month, maybe two.  It didn't really bother us
too much , but got us to thinking about similar problems on a thru hike
- although none of the many thru hikers we met mentioned anything
similar.  Has anyone else had a similar problem?  Any comments on how
to avoid it?
I always shift the weight around as I hike - hip belt loose, hip belt
tighter, no hip belt, etc.

Thanks,
Don