[pct-l] Chaparral

I remember hiking through what seemed like an endless sea of the stuff. I
also remember those on shore rushes -- about 10 of them -- when the wind would
whip at furious speed from the West. I can't imagine a fire in that wind
 What an insidious clever, determined ecosystem the Chaparral is. It has
found its niche and is seeking to expand using fire as its catalyst. Imagine:
enabling itself to self immolate as an evolutionary tactic, using fire instead of
fighting it both defensively and offensively. Defensively by ridding itself of
those who have dared to encroach upon its territory. Offensively by getting
fire to burn inroads for it in other ecosystems or communities, be they forests
or towns. 5 years from now the Chaparral will have recovered. The forests
will not have
   A more than worthy adversary for man