[pct-l] Losing weight

Today I dropped 15 ounces off my base weight. I didn't have to buy anything
new or replace anything. I didn't have to ignore or rationalize around the Ten
Command -- er, I mean Ten Essentials either. And no I didn't go on a diet.
   All I did was change scales. My old one was bought at an antique shop n
the 1970s. The new one is a nursery scale that someone gave me. 20 pounds on the
old one is 19 lbs 1 ounce on the new one.
 Of course I believe in the power of positive thinking and optimism, so I'm
positive the new scale is correct
Is there a way of receiving a base weight handicap when starting a thru hike?
For example if you are 5 pounds lighter than your FDA approved Ideal Weight,
can you add 5 pounds to your basic gear and go for the Thermarest instead of
the Ridge rest? Or maybe a 5 pound roomy tent. Shouldn't total weight load
above Ideal Weight be considered base weight (without food and water)? So if you
stay a stable weight, and the Ideal Weight keeps going up and up due to
lobbying by the gravitationally challenged, before long you can go back to everything
but the kitchen sink packs and still have a low base weight