[pct-l] Re: Hitching

In a message dated 10/25/03 1:03:02 PM, randy_forsland@hotmail.com writes:

<<  prefer "yogi-ing" to schmoozing.  That is where you ask the driver if

he/she knows of any shuttle buses or the like that can take you from this

point to the next...after they reply in the negative, you just put on a long

face and sigh...more times than not, they will feel bad and offer you a

ride...see, it's not begging or schmoozing if it was their idea >>

Yeah I like being proactive when hitching which isn't very often. On my way
out from the Grand Canyon via Supai last year, I had no vehicle awaiting for me
at the rim. I had no trouble get a ride about 90 miles to Peach Springs, but
then things slowed down trying to get a ride the last 60 miles to Kingman and
the bus, etc. After about an hour with no luck. I walked up to a gas station
and just started asking people. No one was going that way. Finally a guy came
in and I offered $20 for a ride. He said he wasn't but knew someone who was. A
couple of minutes later two very large women in their 40's and a teenage boy
drove up and said sure, they'd give me a ride to Kingman for $20, but had to
make a short stop first -- at the closest drive in liquor store. We did, they
purchased two six packs of malt beverage, and barreling down the road at 90 mph
(it's a very straight road) we made it to Kingman before the first six pack
was gone. Now I must confess that I partook of some of that beer, but I swear I
didn't dispose of the empties by littering. They got so much pleasure tossing
theirs that they insisted on tossing mine, too. Anyway, the point is that I am
still alive and mercifully have no idea if they drunkenly killed an innocent
family on their return thanks to my $20. No, really the point is a direct
approach is a proactive approach, but life is like a box --etc,etc