[pct-l] re: hitching

Having been both a hitcher and a hitchee, let me suggest that BEFORE you try
to hitch you:

1. Bathe (if possible) or at least wash the visible parts of your body so
you don't look like the dirty bum you are.

2. Comb or brush your hair

3. Put on your cleanest dirty clothes.

4. Brush your teeth to kill the bad breath from too many tuna pouches

When I'm traveling with my family, I'm not interested in picking up someone
who looks like the next I-5 serial killer.

Once looking and smelling half-way human, do not be afraid to just walk up,
excuse yourself, and very politely but firmly ask if they might be going
your way. Tell them which way that is - don't make them play 20 questions.
Gas stations are the best place - you've already got the car stopped and the
driver available. Emergencies notwithstanding, save your tales of woe;
they're not helpful. Making someone feel guilt is not in your best
interests.Offer to carry your pack on your lap to save room. Thank them even
if they decline. Especially be sure to thank them if they accommodate you.
Offers of gas money, meals, or soft drinks after you reach your destination
go a long way towards getting rides for other hikers from the same people.
What you offer depends on how far they carry you and how desperate you were
for that ride.

I've gotten a lot of rides that way, and lost many times that by NOT
adhering to these points.

Wandering Bob