From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Paul Magnanti
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 4:04 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] re: hitching

>>ways to get a ride remains to engage the potential
>>driver in  conversation.

Actually, my easiest hitchers have always been by
chatting up weekenders or day hikers heading back to
their cars near the trail heads. Invariably, they will
see me trying to hitch and give me a ride. Can't quite
bring myself to out and out ask for a ride. But, that
is my own fault...

As far as some people having an easier time than
others. Well, yes, young women and couples do seem to
have an easier time. Men traveling by themselves seem
to have the hardest time. Guess two guys hitching
togethers makes it seem like they are out on adventure
or some sort...vs. one guy hitching = "crazy vagrant
type".

Anyway, would you give this guy a ride? :D ....
http://gallery.backcountry.net/pmagspct02/ane

(