[pct-l] Re: 2 car hiking

I have employed a variation on the 2-car idea for some
of my section hiking in Washington.  Often I have
embarked on 35-mile weekend section hikes without a
partner or car support.  With no desire to return hike
the miles that I have just done, I employ a
car-and-mountain bike transportation system.  I will
drive to the trail's end and ditch the bike (locked to
a tree) in the woods and then drive to the trailhead
to park and begin my hike.  At the end of my hike I
will keep the pack on my back and bicycle via rural
roads or Forest Service roads back to where I have
parked (NEVER biking along the PCT).  Thankfully, I
have a lightweight pack system to comfortably travel
by bike.  I have also done this process in reverse:
pull over at the trailhead, stash the pack in the
woods, drive to the trail's end, park, and then
bicycle back to the trailhead.  Either way I do this
routine can be quite taxing physically, but the reward
of experiencing the bike ride (as well as
self-reliance in trip planning) are worth it.  Keep in
mind I don't do this every time, and not all section
lengths have accessible roads to bike, but I am glad
this option is available to me often.

Eric Jensen
"OneMan"