[pct-l] Re: Butter or Margarine Substitute

Ref: From: "Jerry Goller" <jerrygoller@backpackgeartest.org>
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Butter or Margarine Substitute

Ref: From: "Jerry Goller" <jerrygoller@backpackgeartest.org>
Subject: RE: Butter or Margarine Substitute

Jerry wrote:

> I really tried to like that stuff.....but I just can't stomach it. I
> found the taste to be really gross.
> Jerry

I take back what I said earlier. I checked out my ghee on the tip of a
spoon and found the flavor to be gross, sorta. Not _really_ gross, but
sorta gross. But it did have a slight flavor nuance of pure creamery
butter ;-)

You're right, ghee probably isn't going to win awards when served on a
tortilla. I lost touch 'cause haven't used ghee as a spread for a long
time (I'm not much into eating processed grains like bread or tortillas).

I'll stick with cooking with ghee because it bahaves well in a hot pan,
and has no trans fats. Even olive oil has some trans fats, and these
increase when the oil breaks down while being heated.

Several folks have requested a copy of the one-page "What's Ghee, McGee"
and I'll include you on its distribution for your interest.
Campy
Central California Trail Coordinator
"Home of the High Sierra Trail Gorillas"
Pacific Crest Trail Association
Bishop CA Tel.: 760-872-2338
Email: tap "Reply"

http://www.trailprojects.com  or
http://www.trailvolunteer.com  click on PCT

"Time spent doing trail work shall not be deducted from your life!"