[pct-l] Butter or Margarine Substitute

Ref: From: "Eric Yakel" <eyakel@earthlink.net>
Subject: [pct-l] Butter or Margarine Substitute

Eric asked:

      "Do any of you know of a butter or margarine substitute that
doesn't spoil like the real thing and doesn't taste like crap?"

Easy question, the answer is ghee. It's used worldwide because of its
storability and stability - lasting a couple years when stored at room
temperature. Ghee had its origins on the Indian subcontinent a couple
thousand years ago. It's made from butter but is not a simple "clarified
butter" as some people have remarked. You make it in your oven, or
alternatively, purchase it in an ethnic Asian grocery store. Stored in a
jar, it has similar physical, flavor, and appearance qualities as
butter. My trail crews are quite familiar with ghee, which I use in
cooking, and it is preferred for use on bread also. Because this is a
fat which is fully saturated (containing no trans-fats) it doesn't
easily become rancid, and its dietary cholesterol therefore does not
cause serum cholesterol. It is the safest fat you can add to your diet.

Contact me directly for a one-page description and procedure for making
ghee.

Campy
Central California Trail Coordinator
"Home of the High Sierra Trail Gorillas"
Pacific Crest Trail Association
Bishop CA Tel.: 760-872-2338
Email: tap "Reply"

http://www.trailprojects.com  or
http://www.trailvolunteer.com  click on PCT

"Time spent doing trail work shall not be deducted from your life!"