[pct-l] Front Runners

In a message dated 10/15/03 9:25:37 AM, chwillet@indiana.edu writes:

<< You might think this, but you would be wrong.  Just as wrong as thinking
that those in the rear are somehow having a better time than those up
front.

You mean there really aren't any hikers out their whose competitive thoughts
aren't focused on finishing first? Now thinking that would be wrong. You can
think anything you wish - right or wrong - about whether competitiveness is
right or wrong on a long distance hike, but there ARE people out their trying to
be numero uno. So hike your own hike. MINE doesn't include competitiveness
against others but then again I am not in my twenties so perhaps age has given me
a different perspective-- right or wrong-- as to the reasons I hike. We all
have our likes and dislikes. I will not climb, for example, with people who
insist on being to the summit first, who feel the need to somehow best me. I try
to leave all that back at the rat race track. Competitiveness is something
that is very difficult to just let go of, especially for younger males, because
in all of nature, young males compete. I like testing and learning my own
limits without comparison to others and it feels very liberating
  And maybe somebody in the rear IS having a grand old time of it. I can't
rule it out