[pct-l] Front Runners

Having been up front this year, I can say that none of the people there
had any competitive drive that I could see.  I saw more of this before
KM, when there were some hikers jockeying for position or strutting
around. They eventually dropped off.  People out from were just cruising,
doing their own thing.  Perhaps this year was a statistical freak, but
I doubt it.

Chris

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 CMountainDave@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/15/03 9:25:37 AM, chwillet@indiana.edu writes:
>
> << You might think this, but you would be wrong.  Just as wrong as thinking
> that those in the rear are somehow having a better time than those up
> front.
>  >>

> You mean there really aren't any hikers out their whose competitive thoughts
> aren't focused on finishing first? Now thinking that would be wrong. You can
> think anything you wish - right or wrong - about whether competitiveness is
> right or wrong on a long distance hike, but there ARE people out their trying to
> be numero uno. So hike your own hike. MINE doesn't include competitiveness
> against others but then again I am not in my twenties so perhaps age has given me
> a different perspective-- right or wrong-- as to the reasons I hike. We all
> have our likes and dislikes. I will not climb, for example, with people who
> insist on being to the summit first, who feel the need to somehow best me. I try
> to leave all that back at the rat race track. Competitiveness is something
> that is very difficult to just let go of, especially for younger males, because
> in all of nature, young males compete. I like testing and learning my own
> limits without comparison to others and it feels very liberating
>   And maybe somebody in the rear IS having a grand old time of it. I can't
> rule it out

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics
Indiana University