[pct-l] completed PCT ride

I am back on the list having completed the last half of the PCT on October
4  with Hopi Horse(Washington and Oregon and California to Scott Summit).
Since I was going South for the most part, I got to met this years crop of
thruhikers, which was a real treat.  UNfortunately, going south also meant
that they were going North and I was going to be a solitary wayfarer and
camper.  I got to camp twice with somwbody else (snakecharmer in a storm,
and Bigfoot ).

Having thruhiked in 99, I may be the only person to have experienced the
entire trail both riding and hiking.  But truely what impressed me was how
different the two experiences were, and not because I was with a horse the
second time.  Each time you experience the trail, it will be a different
experience.  This year, the lack of snow and the dryness, not to mention
the heat, made the topography that I had walked through in 99, look
entirely different.  And we change and bring different things to the trail.
 It is just as rewarding the second time around.

I started introducing Hopi horse as a thruhiker when I met northbound
thruhikers; somewhat as a joke at first.  And then I realized We both were
thruhikers.(Hopi went from Mexico to Canada last year near the Continental
Divide, accompanied of course). Not many horses out there that have gone
from Mexico to Canada twice and especially without another horse buddy.  I
have gotten a lot of flak for riding alone, but have come to believe that
it is much safer on the PCT alone ,than riding with many horses or
equestrians. Hopi is in good shape, no ribs showing and no injuries.  He
never did step off the trail unless there was a hole or the trail sloughed
off under his foot.  I find it bothersome that as many horses are injured
and lost on the trail.

And it felt wonderful to be back home and warm, and safe and dry yesterday
when it was pouring rain and the snow levels lowered to 4,000 ft. It seemed
that many of the thruhikers were speedy this year and that they finished
before mid September.  I think that there are only a couple that may still
be out there and wondering what to do in the snow.  I think of those couple
people a lot.

Goforth