[pct-l] M.Katleen Hurley post re Veggie Protein Sources

"Any tips on creative ways to augment protein
consumption would be great.

Cheers,
Kathleen"

========

1. - TVP is cheap, light, complete protein. It is a bit bulky. I prefer
the non-flavored kind. The flavored stuff has lots of chemicals in it
while the plain version is made of a single ingredient - soy flour. It
is about half protein by weight. It  disappears into whatever else you
are preparing.  Lots of info is at
http://www.soyfoodsillinois.uiuc.edu/. I buy mine from
http://www.bobsredmill.com/.

2. Powdered lowfat milk is about 3/8 protein by weight. Tastes good,
too, at least to me. I like "Milkman" brand, and do not repackage the
"quart" envelopes that it comes in.

3. If you are going veggie and not eating the tuna that is so common on
the trail, you will be getting very little in the way of omega 3 in
your diet. You can fix this by taking ground flaxseed meal. 13grams has
3 grams of protein, though not complete protein. It is very high in
fat, and probably will not keep for a long time in the desert heat
without refrigeration - though it does fine on Sierra summer weekends.

4. For how much protein you need - have a look at the articles at
http://www.frc.mass.edu/bbraate/packlite/index.htm. The author is a
hiker, registered dietician. I stumbled on her articles while browsing
the thru-hiker web site.

Short version - you probably need in the ballpark of one gram protein
per kilo of body weight.  This is not hard to do with powdered milk and
TVP. For a body weight of 200# - one needs about 90 grams protein/day -
or 180 grams of TVP. Easy.

  The author also addresses the need for fat in the diet that others on
this list discussed.

jej