[pct-l] JMT Record?

Re Brian Robinson's JMT record attempt this summer.  My husband and I saw
TrailDad at the Rafferty Creek Bridge as we were cruising toward Tuolumne
Meadows a couple weeks ago.  I believe it was Thursday, September 11.  He
told us he was waiting for Brian to come through on his JMT record attempt,
but Brian was "four hours behind schedule and not feeling good."  The then
record, if I remember what he said, was three days and (something like) 22
hours.  Not sure of the hours.  We went on, and when I got home I emailed
TrailDad to find out how that turned out.  Haven't heard back.  So whoever
finds out first I hope it will be posted to this list.

I returned home yesterday after hiking from Mt. Laguna to Warner Springs, to
complete the part of Section A I skipped this spring.  I stashed my own
water at various places along the way down, but was surprised to discover
there was plenty of Trail Angel water at Scissors Crossing, and that water
was coming out of the pipe at Barrel Springs.  There was water in the
cistern at Pioneer Mail too but I wouldn't want to drink it.  There was,
understandably, no water at the third gate in the San Felipe Hills although
I spotted a 5 gallon Sparkletts type water bottle from afar and got my hopes
up.  But it was empty.

Not sure I was carrying enough water to complete the hills, I opted to hike
a mile off trail for a visit to ranch caretaker Richard and the barking dogs
(as mentioned in the trail guide).  Probably you all know this already (I
must not have been paying attention to Meadow Ed's water talk at the
kickoff) but there is no Richard, no barking dogs, not even any caretaker
house anymore, just a crumbling stone foundation.  There IS water down a
stone lined well in the ground, but darn, I didn't happen to have my 10 foot
rope and bucket handy.  So I hiked out a bit farther to Grapevine Springs
Ranch for water and then back up to the trail.  It was getting on 5 p.m. and
my feet and ankles were sore so I dug out two Tylenol tablets to dampen the
pain.  After I took them I realized I had dipped into the wrong baggie and
popped two NoDoze instead. Needless to say I kept on hiking, and made it out
to Barrel Springs by about 10 p.m. by headlamp.

All in all, with the weather staying perfect, it was most enjoyable.

Regards to all,

Two Legs