[pct-l] Re: No trophies, no flowers, no flashbulbs, no line...

> The real winners are the ones who can afford to take as long as they
> want in reaching their destination.
>
> -Chuckie V
> A professional athlete and slow PCT thru-hiker, believe it or not.

I was just curious about that claim, so I Googled...

  Fact: Chuckie was disqualified from the 1999 Ironman Triathlon World
  Championship because he violated USAT rules 3.4d Unauthorized Assistance
  and 3.4j Glass Containers.

Sounds grim.  But here's the context:

  The offbeat and popular Chuck Veylupek - winner of Ironman Canada last
  August - had a poor race in Hawaii in October. He ended up walking much
  of the marathon, beer in hand and plenty of smiles for all spectators
  who cheered him on.

I LIKE IT!!! :-)

/Eric