[pct-l] JMT- Whitney

After a foot re-injury prevented completion of the JMT this
year and a few weeks of recovery,  we successfully summitted
Whitney yesterday 8-21-03 at 11:33 AM
on a 4 day excursion to the Whitney region. I ran the last
1 mile up the ridge after having become pretty acclimated
at trail camp the previous day and a half. My foot was in
pretty good condition but the trail was pretty easy on
it being a fairly "clean" trail most of the way up.

The weather was PERFECT! Hi's in the 70's and 28 F low at 12000'
at night made for great sleeping and snuggling weather!

We arrived at Lone Pine Friday morning about 10 am
and had NO problem getting a multiple day/overnight
permit!!! We were amazed as we somewhat expectedly,
but humbly hopefull, walked into the Ranger station with
totally non-confident smiles on our faces!

Bear cannisters were required which is new since my last
trip of a few years ago; but since it was only
2 days I did not notice the extra weight. And again it was
a nice trail seat as well as a big bucket to bring water to
camp to filter/treat!

This was Karen's 3rd Sierra peak and first large gain
of altitude trip. She showed no HA effects even on
day 3.

Simply amazing weather - we enjoyed fantastic views of
the Milky Way and many shooting stars- a prelude to the
Perseids? (spelling??)

Richard and Karen