[pct-l] Greetings!

Same here.  I also grew up hiking and backpacking, first with family, then
Scouts, and finally with college friends.  Somewhere along the
mortgage/children/career place in life, my outdoor activities fell off and I
no longer did overnight backpacking trips.  Now, the kids are mostly grown,
the financial obligations have changed somewhat, and it's possible to
actually take as much as 6 months off for a thru-hike if I plan carefully in
advance.

The comments of all the participants here have not only inspired me, they
have given me good ideas, provided suggestions, and led me to equipment
providers that will meet my needs.

At the present, I am only day-hiking some sections between Acton and Mojave
in SoCal, since I live nearby.  I am hopeful that I can begin doing section
hikes in preparation for longer hikes, and that my training will prepare me
for a thru-hike in the very near future.

Tom Perkins ("Perk")

[snip]

I have been wating to hike the PCT for about 25 years now, ever since I read

Eric Ryback's book.  I am finally getting my chance and am going to attempt

a thru-hike in 2005, starting on what will be my 42nd birthday.

[snip]