[pct-l] Sleeping Bag Liners

I used a silk liner from Integral Designs.  I think it cost something like
$60 (Canadian pesos) at the MEC.  That is about $40 US.  I used a cocoon
for a while.  The seams burst after maybe 35 nights in it.  The ID liner
had about 20 nights on it before I took it on the PCT.  It is in
fine shape.

  I would highly
recommend using a liner.
You will get filthy. That means, your bag will get filthy.  It will become
very repugnant after just a few weeks if you do not use a liner.  The
liner will get nasty, but it is easy to wash, even if you are not near a
laundromat.  While it may not sound like much here in the comfort of home,
having to get into a sleeping bag full of hiker funk is not very pleasant.
A silk liner should add about 5 degrees to your sleeping bag.  Plus, on
hot nights, you can just sleep in the liner.  Note that mosquitoes can get
through a silk liner.

Chris

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Jim Keener wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I'm looking for information from people with experience using sleeping bag
> liners. My reasons for wanting to know is that I want to keep my bag clean
> and add warmth with as little extra weight as possible.
>
> Is using a liner a good idea?
>
> Is silk the best choice? REI sells a Cocoon silk liner for $60.00. Is that a
> good deal?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim
> pct04.com