[pct-l] poor old Ray

I thought I would chime in on this thread since it is something
I thought alot about this summer while hiking.  Some
background info.  From Tahoe on,
I averaged about 30 miles a day on the PCT, including
days off, etc.  That means a full, usual hiking day was in the
mid 30s.  From Campon to KM I averaged about 22 miles a day,
and in the Sierras about 21.  The final average for the trail was
about 25 miles per day.  I was carrying about 12 lbs without
food or water, but tended to carry more food (per day) than
most people.  I was in reasonable shape (I'd run about
20 miles per week) when I started.  The main purpose of this
was to tough the feet and joints, not to build cardio or leg
strength.

I never hiked to a particular location (i.e, "I'm going to
Muir Pass tonight"), but would rather hike until a time (i.e,
"I'm going to hike until 6 pm tonight").  I would always
get going around 6 am, earlier in the south, later in the
Sierra.  I would hike for about 2 hours, then take a
20 minute or so rest.  I tended to eat while walking, by
the way.  No particular reason.  It just worked out that way.
Sometime between noon and 5 I would take about an hour off to
sit and cook a hot meal (I didn't cook at night) and then
hike on. In SoCal, I would usually stop around 6 or so.  After
Mt. Whitney, it was more like 8 or 9.  There were times when I
would actually stop for some particular view, but the PCT is
so open and exposed that this really wasn't rewarding: I
had seen said view for the past hour.  Stopping at a lake in
Oregon was not an option.  My hiking pace was usually around
3 miles per hour.  Sometimes a little less.  Elevation gain sometimes
would knock this down, but not by too much (alright, maybe that
is stretching the truth).  This isn't too fast, as most day hikers
or weekenders could keep up with me if the terrain wasn't to
inclined.

I rarely felt rushed during my trip and tried not to think about
how many miles I had done during the day.  I just hiked to a
time.  There were a few times when I had to race a PO or a store and
I hated doing that.  Sharon Dziengel did the same miles as I did,
but took fewer and shorter breaks.  I'm still trying to figure out
how I kept up with her.  Will Tarantino pushed alot harder across
OR and WA, but had a similar schedule, although he did hike a
bit faster and a lot longer.  I think it is very possible for
quite ordinary people to consistenly hike 30 miles
a day, atleast after they've given their bodies a chance to
get broken in.

Rather deciding on a location to camp in advance, set yourself a
time to stop.  Hike till that time in a manner that allows you
to enjoy yourself.  If that means 12-15 miles, great. You've
fulfilled the only requirement of hiking: Enjoying yourself.
If that means 20-25, fantastic.  If it means 35, great.

Chris

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics
Indiana University