[pct-l] Light line

	This is my first post to the list - somebody let me know if I did it
wrong, please.

Dude wrote -
I am looking for a super-light-weight alternative to regulay nylon
cord for pitching a tent or tarp.

Kelty trip tease is an ounce or two for 50 feet. Nice stuff, but
expensive. Much lighter and much cheaper is 50 pound braided dacron
fishing line. It has no measurable stretch in the lengths you'd use and
high abrasion resistance. Plenty strong to rig a tarp, too. If you know
anyone  who fishes offshore, you can likely get some for free.

You can get lighter 50#  fishing line if you  are willing to pay for
spectra core stuff. It does get expensive, and is much thinner. It has
zero stretch. Stay away from monofilament lines - too stretchy and too
slippery.

All these small diameter lines have the same problem that your floss
idea would have - harder to knot, harder to untie knots, more likely
cut their way through webbing tie out loops, and more likely to end up
in an impossible to unravel mess. All that is solvable.

I was just putting together my pack for next week  - I think I will try
some 80# and 50# fish lines to compare, in rigging a SilShelter. I will
weigh them, as well. Let me know if any on the list are interested in
the results.

jej