[pct-l] Steri-Pen

At 10:33 AM 7/30/03, Sean Crookham wrote:
>Although true that one may not have to always purify water, I do highly
>encourage and reccomend it. The presence of animal feces, carrion and
>human beings makes me think better of going without filtering.

Hike your own hike, but thru-hiking is often a matter of only carrying the
gear that is needed. Since measured levels of Giardia in the High Sierra is
LOWER than they are in the municipal water system of San Francisco, it
doesn't seem worth carrying the extra weight. Just like it doesn't seem
worth carrying a 4 season tent.

That being said, water in **Southern California**  is probably not as
pristine as in the High Sierra, but I don't think Giardia is the big
problem down south. I'd be more worried about Coliform Bacteria, and many
"giardia filters" don't remove that so if you rely on a filter, make sure
to pick the right one.

>  I have contracted Giardisis several times in the past and it's not fun.
> Squatting in the bush is a miserable way to spend your hike.

It probably wasn't Giardia (did you have a definite diagnosis, or was it
presumptive?), and if it was, you probably didn't get it from the water.

>I use the Sweetwater Filter myself and had great success with it.

In a survey on the A.T. a few years back, use of filter had no bearing on
whether a hiker got intestinal illness or not. I'm glad you feel your
filter worked for you.

Once again, read the article at
http://www.californiamountaineer.com/giardia.pdf before you decide what to
carry. Don't rely entirely on anecdotal evidence from list members (even
me...<g>)

--
Brick Robbins
How is it one careless match can start a forest  fire,