[pct-l] Reading material

At 12:39 PM 7/28/03, Sean Crookham wrote:
>I've decided to start planning a PCT Thru-Hike for 2004. This will be my
>first thru-hike. I've been gathering gear and have most everything I'll
>need now. I've been hesitant however when it comes to books, I'm not sure
>which to believe and which to discount. Could anyone please advise me as
>to which books are a must read for this hike?

The only "must have" books are the Wilderness Press guidebooks for the
trail. Everything else is optional.

There are many other books that are useful and fun to read, but remember
that each is a reflection of the author's opinions. don't take accept them
verbatim, but rather evaluate what they have to say in light of your own
experience.

That being said, I would recommend most of the books you find in the PCTA
store https://www.orderz.com/pcta/

In addition, many have found Ray Jardine's books helpful. These don't seem
to be in the PCTA store, which is not surprising, since Jardine has had
major feuds with them, even forming the original ALDA-West as an
alternative. I found these on Amazon

PCT Hikers Handbook - this one is out of print and pretty pricey...

Beyond Backpacking