[pct-l] Animal Questions

At 10:12 AM 7/24/03 -0700, David Sacerdote wrote:
>Staven Bruce wrote:
>
>> About a mile out of the camp, something resembling a wild
>> boar jumped across the trail in front of us and went into the brush on our
>> right
>
>Feral pigs are VERY common in the Santa Cruz mountains and in the area around
>Henry Coe state park.  They usually travel in groups of 4-12 animals, and
>usually run away when you encounter them.

I've encountered these as well in the CG at HC SP and they are,
as u said, not boars, but feral pigs...long way from the
boars we are speaking of I believe. Do boars attack
humans per se such as cats tend to?

And on the other topic:  I do not want to
mess with a bobcat after encountering a large feral
cat stuck under my stairs...after 4 stitches and
a quarantine period of the animal (which I was
extremely lucky to capture) this pussy-cat, when
scared, had the strenght of a full grown man--
it was totally amzing to feel that incredible strength
as I tried to hold it and not hurt it at the same time...
but I guess one can expect that of an animal that can
leap (unaided) 3-5 times its height (no human can do that!)

I was concerned that the boars I did encounter would come
back at night and "raid" the campsite...so I did put out
twine and rocks/cookpot alarm trip wires to warn
us..be we were "safe" all night...

I still think with proper care your 2 y.o will be fine;
and I speak from experience as a parent of a now 12 y/o boy
who has many dozens of nights in the mountains with the skunks,
'coons, blk. bears, elk, deer, cats, etc etc...and even
a rattler encounter...

Richard