Fwd: Re: [pct-l] TahoeAdvicePlease

Firefly

Although not on Lake Tahoe, the following is in the general direction of
Lake Tahoe:

Take 395 south to Mt. Rose Hwy (Hwy 431) and head west.  Turn right on
Timberline Dr. (like its name, it is just before/at the edge of the forest)
and follow to dirt. Continue on and cross small bridge. There's a small
trailhead sign for Thomas Creek trail.  When facing the sign to your left
is a dirt road which you can drive back on to some camping areas near the
creek (go far enough back and there is even a port-a-potie.  The creek is
running. No permit required and camping is allowed up to 5 days, no charge
that I am aware of.  Desert, riparian, and sub-alpine transition
zones.  Although bears are possible, they are unlikely in this area. Look
for sightings of Western Tanagers (birds -beautiful yellow & black with red
heads). Thomas Creek trail runs through here. 4 mi., 800+ gain. and
connects (I think) to the Jones Creek/ White's Loop trail
http://greatbasinbicycles.com/Maps/jones_creek.htm in Galena Creek Park
(there may even be camping available at Galena Creek Park but I am not
sure)
http://www.nevadadventures.com/recsites/washoeco/galenastatepark.html).
 From there just get back on the Mt.Rose/431 Hwy and it will take you to
Lake Tahoe.

Or you can take Hwy 395 south past Carson and to Hwy 88 (easy to miss this
junction - look for a Denny's on the right in a strip mall area) to Hwy
89.  From the junction of 88/89, heading north toward Lake Tahoe, look for
Forest Service road 051 on your right about 1.8 miles from the
junction.  See the attached driving directions for the Freels Peak
Trailhead, route A.  Be sure to set the odometer to zero as you pull onto
FS-051; these directions are amazingly good (I didn't do them, so am not
patting myself on the back here). You can camp out there off of FS-051-F
(note the flat metal post with this sign is lying flat on the ground so can
easily be overlooked) without a permit and no charge.  The creek is also
running. Once again, bears are possible but I haven't seen any.  I camped
there over the 4th of July weekend and actually left food in the vehicle
without any problems.  Also camped by Star Lake with no evidence of bear
activity. (But lots of interested squirrels & chipmunks). By following the
directions on the attachment, you will reach Armstrong Pass on the Tahoe
Rim Trail (TRT).  You can head in two directions, one is 9 miles back to
TRT trailhead on Hwy 89 a few miles from Lake Tahoe or 5 miles to Star Lake
(very beautiful, pristine and serene - good fishing too  if you have a
licence).   The one downside is that about 300 foot off of FS-051, there
are some MAJOR bumps in the road - very difficult for a low clearance
vehicle.  I made it in my little two-wheel drive Nissan pick-up by backing
up quite a bit, getting a running start and keeping so far to the left that
I brushed the bushes on the driver's side. If you have rear-wheel drive, a
little weight in the back helps also.  Also the hiking/backpacking from
here is not a loop. You can continue backpacking past Star and come out to
another road (sorry I forget which one) closer to Tahoe or take one of the
bike trails down to Tahoe area.

Go to http://topowest.com/main.html  to view topos of the area -
unfortunately the TRT doesn't seem to be on any of these topos.  But here's
the URL for the TRT org  http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/  or
http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/thru_hike.htm for more trail and water
information.

There are no doubt other places, but I haven't lived here that long so am
still trying to discover them.

Have fun!
vh