[pct-l] Mt. Whitney Expedition

Hi

Try http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/wild/wildpermits.html for more info.
also http://www.nps.gov/seki/whitney.htm
also http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/

It is my understanding that those with a pass must register the day before
and/or day of the permit.  If they fail to do so, the pass will be
re-distributed the morning of the entry date of the permit on a first come
first serve basis.  Cancellations are also re-distributed and may be called
in for.  A group of us recently did Whitney and an additional friend wanted
to go also; he called in and was able to get a permit for the same day as
our trip.  He was told that because he was only looking for a single pass
it was easier to accommodate him.  Most people are looking multiple
cancelations on the same day and there is a waiting list for that.  I am
not sure what number he called but here are some numbers and hopefully you
can be directed accordingly.

Wilderness Permit office # (760) 873-2483 (dial 0 once the recording starts)
Whitney Portal Campground # 760-873-2484
Lone Pine Ranger # 760-876-6200, (4), (2) for a trail condition update
Campground Reservation # (877) 444-6777

Have fun hiking - be sure to stop and smell the Sky Pilots above Trail Camp!
vh