[pct-l] Food on the trail

What I've been doing lately is using ground meat, turkey, or chicken, tossing
the stuff in a pot of boiling water for a couple of minutes to boil off the
fat, then sticking it it my dehydrator for  three hours or so,  Then I put
result (about the consistancy and weight of styrofoam) in a freezer bag (they're a
bit tougher than standard sandwich bags) toss in a little oxygen absorber
packet that you can order from Walton Foods by the hundred and stick it in my
back pack.  Then, come dinner, you can reconstitute it in a pan of water; that
takes a minimum of 10 minutes, better if you wait for 20 minutes.  I add it to
Lipton Noodles or, if I don't mind simmering for 20 minutes, Hamburger Helper.
Trust me, it tastes a lot better than any of the freeze dried dinners.

You can use most any kind of ground meat.  I've used 20% fat hamburger and it
works just fine.

However, don't ever try this with pork sausage.  I did once and I'll tell
you, if you have a significant other like mine, you'll never hear the end of it.
As in, Gee. I'd Sure like that new MSR stove, to which the reply is, is this
another pork sausage experiment? Or, as in, I'd sure like that new fleece
jacket, to which the reply is, is this another pork sausage experiment? Or..well,
you get the idea....