[pct-l] Newbie questions

Hi Natasha,
Thanks for the plug =oP Might get it at some point. You did the
Sierras without a tent or anything? Does that count not using a bivi
bag either? =oP I've been to Yosemite before in May, 8 years ago and
it does get very snowy at the higher altitudes - a high pass was
closed due to snow, can't remember the name right now but I guess it
must be pretty bad for them to close the road.
James

Quoting Trek 2000 <boliviahike@hotmail.com> on Mon, 07 Jul 2003
02:41:16 -0700:

Hi James, this is Natasha from the UK. I hiked the
trail in 2000 and my
book, Walking Down a Dream, has just been published
(reviews to be released
on the List in early August). You can buy it through
Amazon. It is a
humerous and inspiring account of the hike, but also
contains many details
on what you need and don't need (I posted an axe to
myself at Tuolumne, but
then decided not to carry it as the snow reports
were not too bad. Also went
without a tent or any cover through the Sierras, but
suggest you buy the
book for more details!)

You should be fine by midsummer though, on the snow
count.

>From: "James Kendall" <jameskendall@ekno.com>
>To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
>Subject: [pct-l] Newbie questions
>Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:06:35 +0000
>
>Hi everyone,
>I'm planning on trekking the PCT in summer 2007
(thought I'd give
>myself a while to plan and train for it =op) and I
have some
>questions which may be fairly obvious so I
apoligise in advance.
>Anyways, I've looked at the PCTA website (seemed
like a good place to
>start) and it seemed to suggest that the Sierra
Nevada stretch
>require ice axes, crampons, etc. Is this true all
year round? And if
>so does that mean I need to get some mountaineering
training of some
>sort? More questions to follow in the future -
hopefully when I'm
>better informed bout the trail and its demands,
etc.