[pct-l] Thru-hiker sitings at Tuolumne

Hi all,

As we started our hike from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley last
Wednesday morning (July 2), we ran into three thru's (say THAT fast): "Doc"
or "Doctor J" (Jay Powell from BC) and "The One;" we also talked with a
woman at the Tuolumne Meadows Store for a while, but unfortunately didn't
catch her name.  The One said he was heading to Yosemite Valley and hoped to
reach it by 4:00 in the afternoon!  We met him around, oh, 10:30 a.m. on the
PCT in Tuolumne Meadows, about a mile south of the trailhead.  He was loping
along and probably made the 25 miles by 4:00.  Amazing.

The One also let me know that the snow levels on Donahue were down to
isolated patches.  It's a real surprise considering the spring storms.  We
encountered little snow on our hike to the Valley, where our highest point
was Fletcher Peak, at 11,410.'

I can recommend the food at the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge - for meat eaters,
they had an awesome NY steak; for veggies, a tasty-sounding meatless
spaghetti carbonara.  Great people, great service.  Incidentally, showers
are available there from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.; didn't get the price
though...

Another note on the effectiveness of bear canisters: for the FIRST time in
Lyell Canyon, I saw bear scat that was not contaminated with bits of foil,
plastic, or other human food garbage.  Instead the bear poops were laced
with grass parts & other unmentionables but definitely no freeze-dried
wrappings!

Also, I hiked the Mist Trail along Vernal Falls yesterday, coming down from
Little Yosemite Valley.  Awesome, despite the crowds of lemmings headed
upwards.  Hoo, boy, did the knees tell me about it!  But no neck problems.
I'm thrilled at not being stopped by a problematic cervical disc, and thanks
again to those of you who sent me such supportive messages.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija

"Never measure the height of a mountain, until you have reached the top.
Then you will see how low it was."  Dag Hammarskjold