[pct-l] Money Woes and Tent Snow Flaps

 Money Woes?? I was listening to National Public Radio the other day eating a
bagel, wearing Birkenstalks with my tall size Starbucks coffee #@%$^&
flavored capo zippo macho loco the other day as they talked about money trouble in
Cailf. They said this year Calif. is starting the budget on totally borrowed
money for the first time ever. The last 3 years , they have been running in the
red. With money trouble like that , it is no wonder the trails and such are
taking a back seat. If our trails are to be kept -up , we need to step up and
volunteer. ( Or have the Government start Cloning a few thousand Pete Fish's)
Pretty big words for someone who hasn't volunteered himself YET!!! ( But I will
give back when kids are gone)
   Snow Flaps,?? Were have they gone?? Remember how any tent in the old days
worth it's salt had snow flaps. These along with snow tunnel entrances and
cook holes were good options. With today's 2 lb. tents the extra weight of the
the material for the flaps could be offset  by using less stakes. If you had a
tent with snow flaps , it greatly improved tent in strong winds. ( I know, you
always camp in the trees out of the wind<< BUT if you go to sleep in the Goat
Rocks with a grand view with no wind, you could awake to 50 mph winds at
2:00a.m.)  Bring back the snow flaps.
   Cook Holes are nice too and they quick become pee holes at 3:00a.m. if
it's cold and rainy.  A cook hole doesn't add much to the cost of a tent and is a
great option.