[pct-l] Trail Maintenance

I stand corrected. I guess all of us don't agree. Some see an 8 foot wide,
newly

cleared swath of trail as a thing of beauty. When I see it, my thoughts are
similar to

the ones I have when I see a clear cut. Friends of mine who build roads and

freeways tell me how hard and hot that kind of work is also. They can also
get

pretty excited about a freshly laid strip of asphalt highway or a 6 lane
freeway.

Probably similar to how others might get excited by an 8 foot wide trail. I
don't

particularly care for either.

The meaning of my posts may have been misinterpreted. I understand trail

maintenance is needed and necessary. My feeling is that in SOME cases it is
over

done. As is the trail engineering.... in some cases. It is a matter of
degrees. For

instance, why stop at an 8 foot wide swath. If 8 feet gives several years
before a

trail needs to be revisited for maintenance, why not go for 16 feet and get
several

more years.

I appreciate the description of what it takes to create that 8 foot wide
swath of

trail. I have been enlighten to work involved in creating these "things of
beauty".

But next time the crews are out there I hope they take a break, enjoy the
moment,

and ease up on the art work. I will pass on the "Trail Gorilla" boot camp as
I too

might begin to see those wide swaths as beautiful especially after all that
hard

work. I will, however, make sure I have fresh bananas for any trail crews I

encounter as a just play thru on my next hike.

Cheers,

Just Playing Thru