[pct-l] re: Ice Axe and Crampons?

Hi Jim,
Last year there was one large snowpatch about 10 miles
north of Ebbets Pass that was *very* exposed, and
pretty steep.  The choice was to cross the snow, or go
up above the patch to where it pulled away from the
rock (not a simple scramble).  I crossed the snow, but
in hindsight, I shouldn't have.  Happy-Jo was
surprised when I told him I went across it.  At the
time, I felt ok with it, having had a lot of
experience climbing -- however, I had no crampons, and
no axe.  I used my poles for stability.  If I'd
fallen, the consequences would have been severe, so if
I had to do it again, I'd find another route.  That's
not to say you need an axe or anything (that one spot
is the only thing I crossed where I'd have wanted an
axe, and there was a no-axe option as well).  Just
that there may be a couple points where you should
take care.

Also, the sections that cause the most concern can
often be waited out if necessary.  Once the snow
softens, it's a lot easier.

Iron Chef