From: "Jim Keener" <jkeener@backpacker.com>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 11:14 AM
Subject: [pct-l] Ice Axe and Crampons?

> Greetings:
>
> In a recent thread, I noticed that there were a number of writers who
thought that an ice axe might be advisable under certain conditions on the
trail, but I don't remember anyone suggesting crampons. Perhaps I missed it.
Anyway, I certainly feel more comfortable in steep snow with crampons on my
boots.

> I've tried out the lighter weight Stubai crampons (aluminum - dull points)
on Lowa Sarek hiking boots. They weren't as secure as step-in crampons on
mountaineering boots, but they were much more secure than heavily-lugged
Vibram soles.

> I don't have experience carrying an ice axe and/or crampons on a long trek
and am looking for comments. I'm especially interested in the parts of the
trail from KM (south) to Echo Lake.