[pct-l] Re: Alcohol vs. Gas stoves

You might also consider a butane cannister stove for your 3-person 1-week hike.  The disadvantages for thru-hikers (surface-mailing fuel, properly disposing of containers) don't apply to your 1-week hike.  Coleman has introduced a 2.7oz model priced at $40 (end of the road for the $100 titanium Giga!).  Heat output is similar to a Whisperlite and they are quicker, easier, and SAFER.  During the 2001 fire season in the North Cascades I saw signs saying that ONLY cannister (not gasoline) stoves were allowed!  One "16oz" or two regular cannisters should be more than enough.  But, yes, I converted to the Robinson Cat Stove for solo hiking, too.  Also, MSR now sells a 8oz "Simmerlite" - but it costs $90.

-----Original Message-----
From: ron M smith [mailto:ronyon@lycos.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 10:44 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Re: Alcohol vs. Gas stoves

Most thru-hikers likely reflect Roy's sentiment towards alcohol stoves. I do. I used a cat-food stove exclusively during a month-long solo tour of northern California with no complaints. Denatured alcohol was readily available at grocery, camping, and paint stores, and frequently showed up in hiker boxes. I also included a bottle in my re-supply box, just in case (I never needed it.) The stove itself was very easy to use, and boiled my water faster than my WhisperLite, if you consider the whole process of assembly and priming.

In September I'm taking a week-long thru-hike in the Sierras with two others. Now the scale will be tipped in favor of the gas stove weight-wise, since the weight of the Whisperlight will be shared among three people, while only requiring half as much gas as we would alcohol. We haven't made a final decision yet, but we will undoubtedly be debating the multiple-hiker weight-saving merits of the gas stove against our fondness for alcohol. (Yes, we'll take some of that too!)

-Ron