[pct-l] Question about fording streams..

I have done all three, and my favorite thing to do now is to wear
running shoes and just hike on through and let my feet dry in the
super-dry sierra air, which only takes about an hour or so if its
warm (if you are in the cascades, i don't know how fast they will
dry).  I wear regular running shoes and thin nylon/synthetic socks.
feet get dirty, but dirt is easy to clean.  The best thing about this
method, especially if you are trying to make a lot of distance is the
time savings.  its HUGELY faster.

I have tried fording barefooted and it is very uncomfortable and can
really mess up your hike if you slip, stub your toe, cut your foot,
etc.  not to mention those thinsg could be dangerous.  I estimate
that its takes 10x longer to stop, take off shoes/socks, slowly cross
placing each foot carefully, stop on the other side, dry off, put
shoes on, etc. than it does to just walk on through and get your
unning shoes wet.

I also tried the sandals/water socks approach and decided that it
still takes 10x longer and you do not eliminate any of the risk of
injury (although the risk is reduced).

good luck!

peace,
dude