From: "Nancy Sexton" <pumpkin1@thegrid.net>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 7:21 AM
Subject: [pct-l] Stealth camping

Hi everyone,
We are planning to stealth camp on our hike from Tahoe to Mt. Whitney, but
having never done it, I have a question. How far off trail do we need to go
to avoid bears? Do we just need to be quite a ways from the nearest
established campsite and a little ways off trail? Any hints for locating a
good stealth site? There are three of us, with three tents, so we will need
to find fair sized sites. What about above tree-line--are there any soft,
comfortable places? Thanks for your help--I don't know how we would have
prepared for this hike without the list!
Nancy, for The Women who Run with the Chipmunks