[pct-l] new resource for home-made equipment (was: REI past&present)

----------
> From: Saskia Daru <saskia.home@wanadoo.nl>
> To: pct-l@backcountry.net
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] new resource for home-made equipment (was: REI past
&present)
> Date: Saturday, June 14, 2003 3:47 AM
>
> Hi,
>
> What I liked especially about Jardine's way of reasoning was:

I always get slightly irked when Jardine and Lightweight backpacking(or
climbing) are equated.

Many of us were building lightweight equipment in the 1960s and 70s
(including quilts, tarps, tents, and packs).  We did not write a book about
it.

Ever go backpacking with 3 pounds total weight (Use garbage bags stuffed
with leaves for a "quilt" , and go with out most of the rest).

REI furnished the first materials I used to make a lightweight parka of
Reevair wear (in l963). They were the primary source of materials for my
home made backpacking projects for decades. I let my original REI
membership expire when I went into the Peace Corp so my REI number  now is
30,XXX.   Remember when REI was a closet of a store on the second floor of
a store on PIKe st. in Seattle?

Goforth