[pct-l] Hwy 74 to Hwy 10

Mike,

Wow, aggressive.  I was there the weekend before memorial day.  Tunnel
has water, as well as Live Oak.  There is a water cache at Fobes Saddle
provided by Bill's Kitchen.  The climb to Apache is pretty steep from
here.  The word on Apache is that is it is running, but barely.  The
rest I don't know about at this time.

Cedar is a GREAT place to stop.  The water is clean and easy to get to
and flowing well.  However, they clearly note that the water is NOT
tested.  And a lot of people do use the water.  I pumped my water.

Cedar is about 1 mile and 1 mile out.  We used the same trail in and
out,  Its about a 750 ft drop to Cedars and if you take the same path
out again, obviously a 750 ft gain.  There is hint of another trail
there.  I don't know where the other trail joins the PCT, if it does, so
I don't know its gain.

The bugs were nearly non-existent.  I Only had to swat one or two
mossies.

Weather was GREAT for us.  Low 50's at night.  But it can get very windy
there.

Personally, I would not camp at the saddle.  It's the low point on the
ridge and is very exposed to the wind.  The elevation gain from Apache
to Fobes is substantial.  You probably want to avoid doing that twice.
I would stay at Cedars, get an early morning start to tackle the climb
to Apache and beyond.
If this is not far enough in one day for you, maybe push it to skunk
meadows.

Keep in mind that as soon as you pass Fobes you are in San Jacinto
Wilderness and you will need a permit from the US Forest Service.  If
you plan on CAMPING in the State park area (i.e. Strawberry junction)
you will need and additional permit.  If you are just hiking through the
State park will honor the permit from the Forest Service.

Good Luck and Enjoy
Ben - AKA Crazy Old Scout
http://crazy_old_scout.tripod.com

Message: 2