From: "Bob Bankhead" <wandering_bob@msn.com>
To: "Marissa Ferejohn" <ferejohn@hotmail.com>; "PCT List Forum"
<PCT-L@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 10:57 PM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] down or synthetic

Like Marshall, I too carry a down bag. I got a new Western Mountaineering
Hooded Aspen (25 deg F) semi-rectangular. I carry it in an OR waterproof
stuff sack so I don't have to worry if I take an unexpected swim. Everything
else in my pack can dry out and be used wet, but Murphy says "if it can
happen when it will cause the most discomfort, it will. I don't need a wet
bag at 6 pm!

I replaced my long-time friend synthetic bag with down because (1) I could
finally afford it (2) weight and more importantly, bulk savings, and (3)
comfort.

Because I use a silnylon shelter that doesn't breathe, I was concerned about
condensation when (not if) my bag touched the shelter during the night. Not
to worry - this bag has a micro fiber shell that repels such things. One
caveat - sleeping naked in a down bag may feel good on the skin, but
deposits trail dirt and body oils on the lining, rendering the bag less
"desirable"  (it's dirty and it stinks). Not too many chances to wash and
dry a down bag on the trail. Wear shorts and a shirt to sleep in.

Wandering Bob