[pct-l] down or synthetic

my opinion: DOWN!  down is soooo comfy.  its the lightest thing
available, and Marchall is right, the fabrics thata they use for to
cover these things now-a-days are pretty good at keeping the moisture
out of the down.  My bag in 1998 was just an old TNF Blue Kazoo 20
degree down bag and we were rained on 10 of 12 days along the JMT and
no problems with the down bag.

if you want to go really lightweight, Western Mountaineering makes a
sub-2lb down bag.  My buddy used it on the JMT last year and loved
it.  There is also supposed to be a sub-2lb down bag comming out by
Marmot, though I have not seen one yet.  I used a 14oz down blanket
on the JMT last year and it worked fine for me.  I got it here:
http://www.nunatakusa.com

good luck.

peace,
dude