[pct-l] Hiking the PCT with your Daughters

--
Tamara,

Dangerous is driving on the freeway, crossing the street, or going to
the ATM machine.  Slip and fall accidents in the house account for more
deaths and injuries than are experienced by thru-hiking. Your parents
fear what they don't know -- it is very human to do so.  As a woman who
hikes and bikes in the mountains alone, you learn that there's less to
be afraid of in the mountains than down in civilization.  Bad guys are
generally lazy, and they're generally not up in the mountains, waiting
for some helpless sort to come along.  The most likely place you can get
victimized as a woman is in the grocery store or mall parking lot, yet
we go to those places regularly.

Preparation is key.  You have to have the proper gear for the conditions
you may encounter, meaning you must know what kind of conditions you'll
encounter!  You would do well to spend some time reading, planning, and
conversing with hikers who've thru-hiked with kids, learning how to get
your pack weight down (and your daughters' too), and doing some weekend
trials with your daughters.  Practice and experimentation will show you
what works best for your "unit" (who carries what, what you really need
and what you can live without).

We are hosts in Agua Dulce, and over the years we've seen families
hiking together, dads with kids, moms with kids, and grandparents with
kids.  The kids love it, and handle the experience better than many
adults (they're more adaptable, I suspect). You are welcome to come up
to our home the weekends before, during, and after Memorial Day weekend;
that is when the vast majority of thru-hikers arrive in Agua Dulce.
There will be many hikers to talk to, and learn from.  Your parents will
feel much better when they know more about what you plan to do, and what
a wonderful community of people are out there.  If possible, you are
welcome to bring them along to our place, too.  Let me know if you're
interested, and I send you the address.

Don't let anyone stand in the way of your dreams.  Teach your children
young to appreciate nature and to love, respect, and protect our natural
wonders -- not to fear them. It's just not the same viewing it all from
the confinement of a car, or in some manicured public campground.  They
will learn that less is more, that life is full of unlimited adventures,
and that they can be self-sustaining.  You will give your daughters a
great gift, one that will last a lifetime.

Good luck to you.

-=Donna Saufley=-

--
******************************************************************************************************************************************

This e-mail is sent for discussion purposes only, and is not intended to
create or modify any rights or liabilities of any party to this
communication.  Unless expressly stated otherwise, the parties' rights
and liabilities may only be created or modified by a written document
executed manually by duly authorized representatives of the affected
parties.  This e-mail may not be relied upon by the recipient for any
purpose under, and is not legally binding, valid or enforceable pursuant
to, the federal E-SIGN Act or any state counterpart.

--

[ donna_saufley.vcf of type text/x-vcard deleted ]