[pct-l] Where does one REALY need an ICE AXE in the Sierras?

Greetings:

I'm planning to hike from Campo through the Sierras to Echo Lake (south end
of Lake Tahoe) this season.

Where, SPECIFICALLY, are the steep side slopes or up or down slopes where
one might need an ice axe, or crampons? How many spots are there? Is it just
a few, or too many to list?

I'm planning to carry crampons, but wondering if I need more (i.e an ice
axe) or if I really need to even carry crampons.

I assume, crampons are most helpful on steep slopes early in the morning if
everything froze up during the previous evening. How often might one expect
this?

I plan to hike with a pair of Leki adjustable poles, but haven't figured out
how this would work in sections where an ice axe might be needed. Also, has
anyone any experience with an attachment to hiking poles in lieu of an ice
axe? If so, specific suggestions are welcome.

Here's a chance for you past thru-hikers to pass on your wisdom?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rick a/k/a "Newsman"

Rick Hubbard
12 Woodbine Street