[pct-l] Tehachapi to Kennedy Meadows

--
I'm providing the last water report for the section you are planning to hik=
e, as of the end of last season.  No one has reported back on that section =
recently.  This is a conglomeration of water sources in the guide book, reg=
ularly maintained caches, and other sources that enterprising and resourcef=
ul hikers have found.  It is for informational purposes only.  Absolutely n=
one of it is to be depended upon.  Caches can be empty, and springs and str=
eams go dry quickly in these parts.  Always carry adequate water.

We just had a spring storm that dusted our local mountains, so I know the S=
ierra got snow.  We could see the snowy peaks of the Southern Sierra last S=
unday from Mount Pacifico in the San Gabriels -- so beautiful.  Leona at th=
e Kennedy Meadows General Store (they're open) says there's a pretty good s=
nowpack north of them, but coming in from the south is not as packed in.

BETWEEN HWY 58 (CAMERON ROAD) & KENNEDY MEADOWS
* 15 gallon water cache at Tehachapi Pass (Map F1) .

* Water at Golden Oak Springs - on trail, 16 miles from Hwy 58.  Steady pip=
ed water into trough. Running great.

* Next water is at Robin Bird Spring (18 miles).  The spring is 100 yards d=
ownhill from trail (there are signs).  The pipe is broken so hop the fence =
to get good water.

* Landers Camp, SNF Road 29S05.  Spring is piped  to large fire tank plus h=
as a heavy flow spilling from pipe (6/6/02).

* Kelso Valley Road at pass (Map F9).  10 gallon cache by Mary Barcik of We=
lden.  Refilled 1-3 times per week.

* 1/4 mile south of Bird Spring Pass - 7x5 gallon cache on right side of tr=
ail.  Marked by a wooden "Water" sign.

* Next water is at the junction of Kelso Valley Road and Butterbread Road. =
 The water hole is an unnamed spring 1/2 miles downhill of the junction.  R=
eported to be an unappealing mud hole not worth the hike.

* At Bird Spring Pass, north side - 15 x 1 gallon cache by Mary Barcik of W=
elden.  Refilled 1-3 times per week.

* Next water is Lower Yellow Jacket Spring (22 miles).  Reported to be "jus=
t a seep" and "not worth the hike" .  The camp and spring is one mile off t=
he PCT on the Scodie Trail - Scodie Trail junction is signed.

* There is also water at McIver Spring, seven miles from Hwy 178.  Spring r=
unning well. Junctions to McIvers Cabin is NOT marked.  Follow guidebook in=
structions.

* Water at Walker Pass Campground is on but has been chlorinated heavily.

* Water is flowing clear and plentiful at Joshua Tree Spring (Map G1) (than=
ks to Back Country Horsemen volunteers replumbing).  There is a "bad" bear =
active at JT Spring.  Camp elsewhere.

* Water flow is respectable at Spanish Needle Creek.  Wild onions are thriv=
ing.

* Water in the two upper forks of Spanish Needle (approx 1 mine north of fi=
rst crossing) is flowing good with a nice rock basin catching the water at =
the first fork.

* Water is turned on at Chimney Creek Campground, 0.30 miles NE on Canebrak=
e Road Map G4).  Signs posted warn of poor water quality.  The water qualit=
y is equal or better than Joshua Tree Spring.  The friendly Camp Host canno=
t recommend that you drink the water untreated -- but he does.  Camping is =
free and the lower sites have water faucets right in camp.

* Fox Mill Spring (Map G4) is a medium trickle and provides adequate water =
to keep the tank reasonably clear.

* Water at creek crossing of Rockhouse Basin is adequate, particularly upst=
ream from actual PCT crossing.

* Seasonal creeks from Fox Mill to Kern River are questionable due to lack =
of tree cover from a recent fire.  This is a hot, dry section.  Carry extra=
 water.

PLEASE CALL OR EMAIL UPDATES TO THIS REPORT 661.268.1235 dsaufley@sprynet.c=
om