[pct-l] UPS and Ice Axes

At 05:49 PM 3/23/03, Jason Hebert wrote:
>Also, are the Sierras the only time an ice axe may be neccessary?  Laguanas?
>  I am considering sending my axe ahead to KM but I am curious what others
>have done and/or plan to do.

You will NOT need an axe in the Lagunas, even if you do manage to find snow
on the ground there.

You MAY need an axe in the Mt. San Jacinto area, especially the "dreaded
Fuller Ridge." This picture of the PCTA's Joe Sobinovski was taken on
Fuller ridge in June one very snowy year
http://www.fastpack.com/brick/joe_fuller_ridge.jpg

It is pretty easy to walk around Fuller Ridge from Idyllwild on a dirt road
(Black Mountain Road) if you manage to get to it while there is dangerous
snow.

There is a very slight chance that you may need an axe going over Mt Baden
Powel, just after Wrightwood. After that there is no chance till after KM.

YMMV, HYOH

--
Brick Robbins

All that is gold does not glitter,