[pct-l] Ultralite Water Filter

The Extream Cyst Filter (replacement part - REI no. 651544, 2 for $16.95)
weighs half an ounce.  It fits in the Nalgene Narrow Mouth Canteen (REI no.
670538, $8.95 for the 48oz size).  Slice off two little bumps inside the
bladder mouth so it goes in all the way to the filter "lip".  Put a 1/32
inch O-ring (hardware store plumbing section) on the outside of the filter.
Drill a 1/4 inch hole in the center of the canteen cap.  Get 1/4 inch vinyl
tube at the hardware and push it into the filter.  You might need to cut the
filter "neck" off behind the original red O-ring to get the canteen cap to
screw down.  Put a Platypus bite valve, with a bit of the original large
tubing, on the other end of your 1/4 inch tube.  You now have a 3.5 ounce,
1.5 quart hydration system with built in filter.  Just fill and suck (not
hard at all).  The instructions will make more sense if you have the cyst
filter and Nalgene bladder in your hands.  Carry chemical treatment as
backup to avoid clogging it with dirty water.  I've gone two weeks before
the filter started to plug up (Gatorade will plug it instantly). Yes, you'll
have to buy several and put them in resupply for a through hike.  I've done
1500 miles with this so far.  Either it works, I'm resistant, or I didn't
encounter any cysts:  take your pick.