[pct-l] tarps?

>> I'm thinking about making the big jump from ClipFlashlight to tarp for
our early season JMT hike.  It's partly b/c I'm tired of dripping
condensation onto my bag from poor ventilation.. <<

A couple of points. First don't assume that just because a tarp has lots of
ventilation, it is immune from condensation. Nothing could be further from
the truth. One of the mistakes many people make when switching from tent to
tarp is not in factoring in the condensation factor. As a result they tend
to get relatively small tarps. So when condensation does form, which it
will, there is often too little room under the tarp to maneuver around in
without getting yourself and your gear wet. So if you're thinking about a
tarp, make sure it's large enough to move around in.
Some of the worst condensation I got on the entire PCT was during hikes
through the Sierras under my tarp. So much so that I abandoned sleeping
under the tarp preferring to just sleep out under the stars. Surprisingly up
in rainy Washington my tarp experienced much less condensation problems.
We encountered afternoon thunder showers just about everyday. However, the
nights were always clear and beautiful/
Early June is prime mossy time in the Sierras. In general we didn't have
problems with them unless camping near water. I'd plan on some form of bug
protection.
Ground cloths can be made from many materials including Mylar emergency
blankets, blue plastic tarps, painters drop cloths, plastic sheeting, Tyvek
house wrap, etc. Tyvek does seem to be one of the most popular options. It's
strong, light waterproof, breathable and relatively cheap. You can
occasionally pick up discarded pieces at construction sites or if you want
fresh unprinted Tyvek, we sale it by the foot (www.sixmoondesigns.com).
Down bags are find for use under larger tarps, ie Golite cave, Tarp/tent,
etc. A lot depends upon the age of the bag and the shell material. Newer
bags generally have a fine weave microfiber fabric. This fabric combined
with a good DWR finish does a good job repelling water. Test your bag by
pouring a little water on it to see if absorbs quickly or tends to run off.
Dry Loft, PTFE, Epic and Pertec fabrics are generally much better for shells
because of their excellent waterproof/breathable features. None of these
shells is completely waterproof so can't be used on their own, but work
great in a tarp environment.
-Fallingwater