[pct-l] tarps?

--
In a message dated 3/3/2003 12:27:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
natgold@ufl.edu writes:

> Hi-
>
> I'm thinking about making the big jump from ClipFlashlight to tarp for
> our early season JMT hike.  It's partly b/c I'm tired of dripping
> condensation onto my bag from poor ventilation, and mostly due to trying
> to go lightweight with dreams of oneday even, ultra....my new quest.
> Does anyone have any recommendations for tarps? How does the GoLite
> Cave do?

That tarps don't have condensation is a misconception, they certainly do.

> Here are some stupid questions I have about using a tarp:
>
> 1.  How do you get your sticks or trekking poles into really hard
> ground, if trees aren't avail?

I don't think you'll find ground to hard to put in stakes.  In lieu of trees
tie your poles off in V opposing each other.

> 2.  In early June, is the Nest bug netting necessary?  I'm thinking the
> extra weight isn't worth it that time of year, but I'm not sure.

There are plenty of mosquitoes on the JMT in June!

> 3.  What kind of ground cloth is recommended and where do you buy it?

Tyvek or house wrap is used as much as anything else these days.  Try a new
sub division where they're building and I'm sure you can pick up a piece the
size you need for free.

> 4.  I understand that if pitched properly, getting wet isn't an issue.
> So does this mean I can safely use my down bag with the tarp? I've also
> been told the Sierra's are really dry compared to the Appalachians so
> this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The Sierras don't have as much rain as the AT.  However, early morning dew
exist everywhere.  Take the time everyday if you can to air out and sun dry
your down bag and gear.

> Thanks everyone for all the help so far.  This message board has been
> really fun and informative.  Keep up the great discussions...it really
> helps.

Yup, good board.

Sly